Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Co-Sleeping/Spoiling

So I know that I have heard that you can't spoil and infant by holding them too much but I think I just need to hear it again.  We have all become so used to sleeping together that when we try to do it any other way it doesn't seem to work as well.  This goes for Lexi, Ciara, and me.  Every night we've tried to start out with the bassinet we end up going to the snuggle nest, and then to just co-sleeping.  (The main reason we don't just co-sleep is because Ciara has diabetes and if her sugar gets low in the night she might not wake up if she rolled on the baby.)  Sometimes I grab her just because I can't see her or am nervous she's not breathing or just want to hold her.  Sometimes one of us will fall asleep while burping her (as you can see).

Now I'm worried because Lexi seems to sleep 
best (or at all) when she is physically touching one of us.  Yesterday she slept in the Moby Wrap and today I have been able to answer all of my emails and blog because she's asleep against my leg.  Its been a solid two hours that she has slept...by far the best all day.  Now I'm nervous to move (and do the things I need to like the laundry and dishes and vacuuming) because I'm so nervous she'll wake up and start crying again, and then I still won't get things done AND i'll have a screaming baby.  So am I "spoiling her"?  Am I setting myself up for her only being able to sleep when she is touching me for the next year?  Please tell me no...and if I am tell me how to fix it:)

1 comment:

bleu said...

I do not believe you can spoil a baby, at all, not for the first few years even. When I was a brand new mama a wise woman I looked up to told me parenting was simple, it was simply "responding" and that was all there was to it. You respond to your child, you respond to their needs. If they need to be near then you are near. So much of the time people spend their time trying to train their kids out of their needs.

Anyhow I am a huge proponent of you cannot spoil a baby.

Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog btw.

Followers